Tuesday, November 20, 2012

give thanks.

On being thankful for parking tickets, plane delays and sheer exhaustion.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving week, I've decided to take some solid advice I was given by a sixth grade bus driver and "turn a negative into a positive, and have a great day!" I hope that man knows what a profound difference he made in my life by starting each morning with such a simple phrase.

Here is me, giving thanks to some of my severe annoyances:

My Parking Ticket:
I am thankful for my parking ticket, because it reminds me that I have a functioning car with which I can park illegally. And if I couldn't park illegally, I likely would not be living in the heart of the city that I love. So thank you parking ticket, I will pay you, on-time, with an abundance of joy in my heart.

The Skinny Jeans I Can't Currently Fit Into:
Skinny jeans, I bet you thought I'd never acknowledge you during a period of not being able to wear you, but here it goes: You are the direct result of me having access to food, drink and occasional libations, without which I could not sustain life. I am thankful and I will be seeing you soon. (See Below)

The Slow Elevator In My Building [that often does not account for the number of times I hit the snooze button]:
Slow elevator, thank you for partnering with skinny jeans to remind me that I have the physical capability of conquering five flights of stairs, and I may even gain energy and access to skinny jeans from the use of said stairs. In all seriousness, I am infinitely grateful for having an able body and need to start treating it with more respect. The New Year will be here soon, stay tuned for resolutions.

Plane Delays:
I know what you're thinking, NO ONE is thankful for a plane delay, unless they have snoozed the alarm five times and live in a building with a slow elevator. Not only do I fit into that category, BUT the specific delays to which I am referring allowed me the opportunity to catch up with a college friend who I don't get to see enough, AND spend an extra small amount of time on Texas soil. Plane delays, you can be such a beautiful monster sometimes, just don't present yourself at Christmas, and we'll be fine.

My Dayplanner:
Thank you and your infinite disorganization for helping me to recognize what an incredibly solid network of friends and family I have. While having plans 20/7 may exhaust me, I wouldn't have my life any other way.

My Exhausting [Rewarding, yet Exhausting] Job:
Because not only does said job allow me to provide for myself and experience various luxuries, but I get to come home daily knowing I've improved the quality of someone else's life. It's a tough market and I'm lucky to be a part of the work force. Sub-thanks to my morning voicemails and emails, you serve as a constant reminder that I have been given the gift of hearing and sight. Exhausting job, you are invaluable and I don't tell you enough how appreciative I am for you.

Readers, remember to give thanks, not just this week - but always. [in the comment box below]

aj

1 comment:

  1. "Turn the negative to the positive and have a good day...oh yeah, can you dig it?" - Mr. Johnson from bus number 5 (at least when I had him)

    Dont forget chips and sodee day on Fridays! Shasta Blue FTW!

    ReplyDelete