Monday, March 18, 2013

home is where the feet are.


To say I haven't had the best luck with housing in the last year would be an understatement.

Last April, I was left to live solo in an apartment made for two [incomes] with my drug dealing neighbors and a broken fragile heart. But time worked quickly to patch up my life, and I found what I thought would be an ideal setup by June. Cato and I packed up our bags and moved into a massive, modern basement apartment in pretty much the scariest "up and coming" neighborhood in Denver.

Unfortunately, the scariest experience we had there was just trying to walk in the front door. You see, my basement apartment was only accessible after passing by a dog-door, and my landlord was incredibly neglectful when it came to her two weimaraners and one golden-doodle. Fast forward about 12 dog bites, thousands of dollars in anxiety treatment and a new family for Cato, and a chewed up front door I knew it was time to move.

In the interest of replenishing my depleted bank account I opted for a room mate and found a sweet little condo a block from Cheesman Park. The price was right and the location couldn't have been better so I signed up...for a six month lease. [Note: I did not sign up for a 5.5 month lease, I signed up for a SIX MONTH LEASE]

You probably see where this is going.

About two weeks ago, my landlord informed me she was selling the condo from under us, and 7 emails later I received a notice to vacate 15 days before my lease end-date, because "having tenants in the apartment while trying to sell it isn't working out for anyone".

I can't lie to you guys, I started to feel really homeless out here in the wild mid-west.

Luckily, I was blessed and provided with the opportunity to travel for the past two weekends, which afforded me the frame of mind to appreciate my new nomadic lifestyle.

I got to travel back to Austin and I was asked on the plane if I was leaving or coming home. The only answer I could come up with was both! [Sidebar: I've also been taking American Sign Language classes and I love that there are different signs for 'house' and 'home'. Because I tell you what, they are so often not the same.] I may not have a stable apartment in Denver, but I know for sure that I am home.

Home is not the roof over my head, but the ground that I stand on when I'm surrounded by loving, caring and reasonable people. And most recently home has been...
On this overlook in Boulder, CO
At Church on Christmas Eve in Austin, TX
In my parents' backyard on this way too sunny day in Austin, TX
In this movie theater with Reeses Pieces in my popcorn

In front of this sunset in Boulder, CO

Inside this dream in Rocky Mountain National Park

Standing on this, my first frozen lake in Rocky Mountain National Park








No comments:

Post a Comment